Monday, July 29, 2013

The Gift

A few Sundays ago, I said hello to a little girl who just happens to be the daughter of one of Kyle's friends.  She's a pretty little thing, probably about 4 years old.  Her name is Maya and her family came from Central America.

Maya was carrying a dandelion and I told her what a pretty flower she had.  She smiled and reached out to hand it to me.  For about two seconds I was in a quandary.  Take her only flower or politely try to refuse it? When you're dealing with a child who willing shares, you are dealing with a very tender thing so I thanked her sincerely and held it properly for the hour and a half. Maya just happened to walk by after the meeting and checked to see if I was still holding it.  Which I was.

We are now friends :o)

2 comments:

  1. A friend told me that her 3 year old son gave his favorite tiny car to his grandpa as a birthday gift recently - totally the little boy's idea. It was the only time my friend has seen her father-in-law with tears in his eyes and needing a hankie. Always go where a child under the age of 6 leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :o) What a great story, Julia. Thanks for passing it on!

    ReplyDelete